|Posted by Dr. Abdul Hafiz Jones on September 11, 2013 at 3:10 AM|
Course Title: Organizational Behavior
Class Timings: TBA
Course Length: 10 weeks
Contact Hours: 40
Instructor Dr. Abdul Hafiz
This course provides an understanding of what goes on at the workplace using the five models of organizational behavior that provides an integrating framework. It will also provide a thorough understanding of motivational theories and their application to reward systems in organizations. Teams and their organizational context, factors that make them successful and team building processes will also be explored.
Core Course Competencies:
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
1. The meaning of OB.
2. Basic concepts of OB.
3. How OB affects organizational performance.
4. Limitations of OB.
5. The elements of an OB System.
6. The Role of Management’s Philosophy and Paradigms.
7. Alternative Models of OB and Their Effects.
8. Trends in the Use of These Models.
9. The Two-Way Communication Process.
10. Barriers to Communication.
11. Factors Leading to Effective Communication.
12. Organizational Grapevines and Rumors.
13. The Psychological Contract.
14. The value of Cultural Diversity.
15. Organizational Culture and Its Effects.
16. The Motivational Process.
17. Motivational Drives.
18. The Expectancy Model of Motivation.
19. Equity Comparison.
20. The Total Reward Systems.
21. The Role of Money in Motivational Needs.
22. How and Why to Link Pay with Performance.
23. The Nature of Leadership and Followership.
24. Group Dynamics.
25. The Nature of Teams.
Method of Instruction: Lecture
Text and References:
Required: Organizational Behavior: Human Behavior at Work. 13th Edition, McGraw Hill, 2007 ISBN: 13-978-0-07-287546, Newstrom, John W.
Suggested: Reframing Organizations: Artistry, Choice, and Leadership 3rd Edition, Jossey-Bass, 2003 ISBN: 0-7879-6426-3, Bolman, Lee G and Terrence E. Deal.