|Posted by Dr. Abdul Hafiz Jones on October 2, 2012 at 7:20 AM||comments (1)|
Course Name: Business Management
Business: A Changing World 8th Ed., 2010 ISBN-10: 0073511757, O.C. Ferrell, Geoffrey Hirt and Linda Ferrell
Course Description: This course provides an introduction to business covering the foundational areas of management, accounting and finance. This course will also examine the role entrepreneurship, e-business, customer relationships and the opportunities to engage in business.
Course Length: 11 Weeks
Contact Hours: 44 Hours
Lecture: 44 Hours per week
Credit Values: 3 Units
Estimated Homework Hours: 3-4 hours per week
Technology Needed: Access to PC that has Microsoft Word and internet connectivity.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
1. Identify the basic concepts such business, product, and profit.
2. Identify the economic foundations of business i.e. free enterprise systems, the forces of supply and demand, the nature of competition and economic cycles.
3. Understand the role government, the entrepreneur, ethics and social responsibility in business.
4. Understand e-business and the various e-business models.
5. Discuss the nature of entrepreneurship, franchising and small business.
6. Discuss the nature of management, and the functions of planning, organizing, staffing, directing and controlling.
7. Analyze the various methods of decision making from management perspectives.
8. Understand organizational culture, developing organizational structure, assigning responsibility, teams, roles and communicating in organizations.
9. Understand the nature of accounting, the accounting process, financial statements and the ratio analysis of financial statements.